Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Why don't more couples adopt dogs rather than children?

I've known from a very young age that I wanted to be childfree since I'm very intolerant of children and feel like having one of my own would ruin my life.I've always been a dog lover and don't think there's a living creature on this earth more deserving of love,affection and attention.I'm 29,have been married for 3 years and together my husband and I have adopted 3 dogs as well as having one each from before the marriage.Adopting these little angels has been the best decision I've ever made.Why are so many people desperate for something that will do nothing ruin your appearance,your social life,your finances and take away your freedom when you can adopt a dog who will love you for life for a hell of a lot less than a child requires.Before anyone tells me I have no idea what I'm talking about since I never had a child,I did have a son at 21 whom I gave up for adoption and never looked back.What is wrong with people today?Why don't more couples adopt dogs rather than children?
My kids have not ruined my appearance or my social life or my finances. They have taken away no more of my freedom than your dogs do.





My kids are being raised to do good in this world. Your dogs aren't going to do anything but make you happy, while my kids are learning to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, minister to the sick and dying, fight social injustices, take care of the planet, create art that inspires people to goodness, etc., etc., etc.





I like dogs, but it's people who make the world a better place, when they have a mind to do so.Why don't more couples adopt dogs rather than children?
Knowing yourself is key. You know what your priorities are in life, and they mesh with your husband's priorities. That's really wonderful! It doesn't matter what other people would do in your situation. They aren't in your situation. Be true to yourself!
It's good you don't want to have more children. I pray for your poor son and your dogs.
LOOK everyone, it's the world's first talking DOG!!! What breed are you anyhow? IGNORANTAMUTT?
';What is wrong with people today?';


What's wrong with you?? Imagine everyone thought like you and everyone decided not to have kids...what would happen to the human race? We'd go extinct, duh. I'm really surprised that natural selection hasn't totally eliminated people like you. But then again, people like you make stupid mistakes such as getting pregnant accidentally and passing on their stupid genes to their kids that they just give up for adoption anyways because they don't have the ability to feel love for anything other than slobbering, smelly animals. At least I won't have to pick up my daughter's poop her entire life.
Lucky for your son that you gave him up.
Thank god you gave your baby up. Id sure hate to see how he would of grown up being raised by a selfish parent like you. I love my daughter. I wouldnt trade it for the world. I also love dogs but its not the same. Im glad your happy with your choices. Im happy with mine.
I suspect that more people do adopt dogs than adopt children. I know lots of homes with dogs and no adopted children.


Now, if you don't want children and are intolerant of them, you certainly should not have them, but wanting children and either having them or adopting them is no sign of something ';wrong'; with people, it's simply a choice you can't relate to. (Much like having a dog is for me.)


Good luck in your search for answers. In my case it's less about being loved than it is about loving and giving.
I think it's a matter of personal opinion and what you're looking for in life.





I agree that dogs are wonderful creatures. I love my dog so much. He's my first born.





But there's a whole different experience that comes from having a child of your own. I haven't had my daughter yet. She's due in a couple of days. But having something growing and living inside you... the finances, the physical appearance, the social life - those things all pale in comparison to me.





That being said. Babies aren't right for everyone. And certainly dogs aren't right for everyone. You really need to look at what you can handle, and what you want out of life.





I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to juggle what I want to do with having one child. (My husband and I have decided this will be our one and only.) You take on what you can... and others will do as they see fit.





Hope that explains a bit more?
Do you hope that your child is still up for adoption?
i too am an animal lover. I have tons of them! But let me tell you since having my son there is NOTHING in this world that i love more than my son..i could care less about ,y body..it is not ruined..just have to take care of yourself! no love for a dog could ever compare to the love of your own child.


some people would rather not have kids..but when they do they understand!





by the way what the hell is wrong with you? dont you ever wonder about the child you selfishly gave up??
SInce you believe having one of your own would ruin your life, then it's best you don't have children. It's good that you realize that you are self-centered. I'm not saying this in a bad way. There are many people who have children who are self-centered and the children suffer for it by being a burden to that person (my step-grandfather was like that). Do what you can to help others and live your life the way you choose. Realize that you lack some sort of nurturing element, which many others have. The fact that you don't want children is no reason to assume there is something wrong with others.





I have relatives who are intolerant of children as well and fortunately, chose not to have children. They are also pet lovers.
Well, thankfully not everyone holds the same views as you do or there wouldn't be anybody to parent the children in the world (biological or adopted).





I have five little angels...(human children). Two of them are my biological sons, two are my adopted daughters %26amp; one is my foster daughter. I cannot imagine my life without them. They add so much joy and fullness to my life. The adopted girls draw me pictures and leave me notes saying, ';I love you, Mom'; or ';You're my best mom';. The boys share their lives with me much more than any other teenage boy I'm aware of, they truly enjoy being with me...they even both still sit on my lap and give me love. My foster daughter sits on my lap as well and willingly shares her life and love with me.





I have the most wonderful fulfilling job in the world (outside of my ';job'; job). I get to pour my life into these five wonderful little people and know that I'm making the most worthwhile investment of my life in doing so. Dh feels the same way.





They will all someday be out in the world making their own way %26amp; whatever we've invested in them will come back to bless us. We'll have an opportunity to see them reach for their goals and dreams and hopefully attain those goals/dreams.





I also have a bunny and a dog. I love my pets, too. I treat them almost like more of my kids, but it's not even close to the same thing as far as relationship goes.





Now...for you, it's awesome that you knew from a young age and that you know now that you're not ready, willing and/or able to pour your life into a child and that you made an adoption plan for the son you gave birth to. That is truly awesome! You keep living out your dream and your life and I'll gleefully live mine out.
Will a dog continue your lineage?, will it carry your name?, will it resemble, or remind you of your mother...........,when u die can a dog name its puppy after u?, or burry u?.....people live on thru children.......the dog will never tell any one about u after you are gone, with a dog whn yo gone u go forever, the dog tho it loves will not write abt u any where, or tell any one abt u.. u will be forgotten. Thats why a child is better, and tell me when did a dog ever adopt a human being?
I'm assuming you are probably a kid trying to stir up trouble, and you did a good job, lol. If not, you are cold and callous, which is your perrogative, but why make disparraging remarks about people who love their children? Your statements are argumentative and you wanted to create a stir. Hope you had fun doing it. There are plenty of animals who need loving homes, so they are lucky to have you. Let's just hope that when you and your husband are old and unable to take care of yourselves that someone ';adopts'; you guys and takes care of you.......which at this point, isn't likely if you talk to people in real life the way you type on here. I think I kind of feel sorry for you. But, it takes all kinds to make the world turn round. At least you can say you have helped and contributed in some way by adopting and caring for the animals that you have. That's one saving grace for you, and thank you for that.
The question is what is wrong with you? just because you blame your mother for giving you such a miserable life doesn't mean that everyone should stop having children. What is next if everyone was sicko like you and start adopting dogs instead of giving birth? will the world be full of dogs or what? Use your mind (and what is left in you). I don't hate animals but I love more giving chances to humans than animals, it you know what I mean. Also not every child is a ruin to their families. They are very proud parents out there. You can't take one case and make it general. I am glad you give up your child. I am sure he is having the best of life possible right now and is sure the proud and joy of his loving and caring parents( I pray ) and one more thing, he is very lucky not to know you and have to listen to such comments( like the one you just posted) Good luck with you dogs, and once they die in about 17 years maximum, keep up the good work by adopting other dogs.Ewww you just spoil my eveving and make me want to vomit
Just because all people don't do everything exactly like you means they've got something wrong with them?? Man you need to grow up and quit being so narrow minded and maybe look at things through other peoples eyes. If you've always been so anti-children then why didn't you have enough sense to use birth control back when you had your son?
WOW, if people didn't adopt children than what would have happened to your son that you had at 21? Think about that for a second.





By the way, I have a dog that I love and three cats as well. That does not take away my desire to be a parent. If you want to be childless, so be it. That is your choice, not mine. If I want to adopt a child, that is my choice. Why can't people adopt children and dogs. Does it have to be either/or?
Maybe a child would have ruined *your* life. That doesn't mean they ruin other people's lives. ';What is wrong with people today?'; Maybe you should ask yourself that question...about yourself. You sound very negative and nasty. I'm sure the baby you gave birth to is much better off because you're not his mother. Thank you for letting him go to a family who probably loves and cherishes him.





To equate love for an animal with the love for a human is just bizarre. Do you love your dog as much as (or more than) your husband? Your parents? If you do, you're seriously disturbed. Dogs are great. I have one myself and I love her very much. But if I ever had to make a choice between her and my son, there wouldn't even be a second's hesitation: goodbye puppy! I'd miss her and feel terribly, but my son is much more important to me than a dog.
Just wait until you guys are old, no one come to visit. Dogs will never be comparable to children, my child makes me proud can dogs do that?
Because more people like children more than dogs, sweetie. I have no reason to want a dog, but I love children. You are more inclined to pets, most others are inclined to children.
Good question...by your logic, why even get married? Why not just have casual sex with a friend and get another dog for companionship?
A child is much different than a dog, I love my dogs ALOT there like my children but unlike you it dosnt help me urning and the thing deep inside me who wants a child more than life. I think that this whole question is absurd. I think you just need to realize people are different and you shouldn't try to preach or even question peoples reasons for wanting a baby instead of a dog.
To each their own. Everyone vaules different things. I have some friends who have dogs and no children and love it that way. I also have some friends like me who love having children. Only you know what is best for you and what you are willing to take on. It you feel children are nothing but stress and dog' are easier than do what works for you.
Well, I cant relate with you because Im 19 and a mom. Yes I have a few stretch marks and a couple extra pounds, but I'm still beautiful. I have a great social life and her grammy watches her if I want to go out on the weekensds once and a while. Babies do so much more then what you think. Those are just the downfalls. But, if you dont want children, there is no wrong in that. And bravo to you for giving your child up instead of aborting him but how could you not miss him? I wouldn't necessarily say theres something wrong with people today but I myself know that the greatest love there is, is the one for my daughter. Were getting a dog when shes bigger because you are right. They are loving loyal, friendly and protective, but they can never love you like your child can. And I hope for you if your son comes asking why you gave him up, you have a better answer than ';why would I want you when I could have a dog';
i'd take my children over my dogs anyday!!!!
Apparently your dog has ruined your life.





You are trolling a Pregnancy and Parenting page of a website just to generate arguments. I on the other hand, have a child that will love and depend on me for years to come. Your dog will live to maybe 20 years old, will never give you grandchildren, and will probably do nothing to make you nearly as proud as a child ever could.
you listen here missy, just because you are not maternal and you don't want any kids, does not mean everyone should do what you do. I have adopted 2 dogs, but that is not the same as adopting a human baby. sometimes animals cant fill the great void a person has wanting to build there families and are unable to do it naturally. children need as much love if not more then any animal on this earth, and don't get me wrong i love my dogs very much, but a baby means allot more to me.
Good Idea......They bring you Love and Joy and you don't have to send them to collage.


Stephanie
i agree, i don't like kids myself never have- never will, and prefer cats instead, cats and dogs will give you unconditional love unlike children,
Because dogs won't take care of you when you are old.

No comments:

Post a Comment